The Ups and Downs of 2017
What a year it’s been!
Firstly, a big thank you to everyone for an amazing year filled with so many milestones and memories.
As the year comes to a close, it’s always good to reflect on not only the highlights but also the things that may not have gone so well so we can learn from our mistakes and make the next year even better than the last.
Because I always like to end with good news, I’ll start with the not so great moments of 2017. Luckily there aren’t too many!
- In October, we closed Salt grill in Jakarta. We had an amazing 5 years there but decided not to renew the lease. While the decision didn’t come lightly, we are looking for other options to expand in Asia, and I am a firm believer in everything happening for a reason!
- The roadworks on George Street in front of glass brasserie unfortunately affected business but the good news is that they’re almost finished and when it’s complete, no doubt glass will be back in full swing.
- In March, a few of us went to Pasadena, California to cook for a Virgin Australia and Tourism Australia event. It was an amazing experience!
- Launching our first organic chicken burger restaurant, Chicken Confidential at Chifley Plaza in February, followed by our second store at Sydney Airport in October.
- Launching my 5th cookbook, Sharing Plates and hosting a very successful Bottomless Brunch at MOJO to celebrate.
- In April we opened Salt grill & tapas bar in the new Ginza Six complex in Tokyo. It’s our third restaurant in Japan.
- In July, P&O launched a new ship, the Pacific Explorer, and we launched two brand new restaurant concepts on board, Luke’s, a fast-casual, all-day dining eatery overlooking the pool and the more formal and intimate, Taste of Salt 16-seater restaurant, which takes you on a 7-course journey of our signature dishes with matching wines.
- In July, my Virgin Australia team and I went on the inaugural Melbourne to Hong Kong flight with Sir Richard Branson. It was an amazing experience to be able to personally plate up the meals for our Business Class passengers on board, serving Richard was the highlight!
- Mid November we launched our Salt grill pop up at the Conrad Hong Kong hotel. It was a huge success thanks to my team of chefs, Jake, Satoru and MJ.
- Meeting the late King of Rock’s former wife Pricilla Presley at glass brasserie!
- Launching The Inspired Series nationally, taking it beyond Sydney to Melbourne and Brisbane. In particular, our Inspired Series event in Melbourne, during the World’s 50 Best Awards, with Massimo Bottura and Daniel Humm was very special. It was amazing to get these great international chefs on board and to hear their inspiring stories.
- We’ve been busy planning for the launch of a few new concepts in 2018… Watch this space!
What were you’re 2017 highlights?
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
See you in 2018. Giddy up!